As a personal trainer and athlete as well as a mother of young boys I know it’s not always convenient to plan ahead for meals. Planning ahead is essential if you want to have a flatter belly, fit into your clothes and have plenty of energy.
What if i told you that sometimes you need to get in touch with your hunger to make the changes you need to make to get the body changes you are craving?
Weekly the personal trainers at Energy Fitness here in Memphis find ourselves engaged in conversations with clients or acquaintances that state bold remarks as follows:
“When I eat salads or smaller meals I’m starving!”
“I don’t like to eat much for breakfast”
“I know what my problem is…I don’t eat enough during the day and when
I get home I like to have wine and eat too much”
Sometimes the only way to create change is doing something massive to get out of your own way and force change.
You may need to suck it up and be hungry for 3 days
in order to reset your metabolism.
Having a time limit on a behavior change or habit adjustment helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing that you won’t starve to death in 3 days and you are giving your body and digestive system a break to turnover new cells (every 3 days your intestinal cells completely turn over and you have new ones, every 30 days your skin has all new cells).
Chances are that your portions at each meal are way more than you actually need to survive and fuel your body. Continually having more than you need you can stretch your stomach and when you decide to cut back on calories and portions your body fights back by sending your brain hunger signals.
Do you recall a time where you had to go to the doctor for tests and you had to be in a fasting state? Did you go through a period of hunger and then it passed? It’s the same way for changing your portion sizes back down to a reasonable and needed level to reach your weight goal. You just have to know that feeling won’t last forever.
Here are some suggestions to help you get through the hunger pangs.
- Write down on paper what your meals will be for the next 3 days (you may even want to write down what the 4th day is going to be so you don’t go hog wild crazy and revert back to your old bigger portions sizes).
- Go to the grocery store with a list and stick to the list. Be sure to grab lots of protein options and fresh veggies including dark leafy greens.
- This list with pictures may prove helpful: click here for 36 Healthier Picks for quick snacks report)
- Eat a high protein breakfast containing at least 26 grams of protein.
- Avoid sugary carbs or juices for breakfast as it just makes you hungrier all day.
- Exercise and have a protein shake within 30 minutes post workout. Reducing stress with exercise can make you less likely to grab something to put in your mouth to self medicate.
- Try out new teas. My favorite brands are Yogi and Traditional Medicinals (daily detox comes in different flavors)
Do you remember Stuart Smalling, the character from Saturday Night live that did self affirmations in the mirror each day stating “I’m good enough! I’m Smart Enough…And Dogonit People Like me!”?
Start a gratitude journal or put notes in your phone 5 things each day you are appreciative for. A few examples might be “I am greatful for shelter, hearing, vision, friends, clean water, stove to cook on, plates, utensils, etc. Also remember that your thoughts are an extension of you and if you are putting it out into the world that you envision positive changes such as better looking skin, stronger, leaner and more beautiful self than you are bringing that frequency within reach.
By crowding your thoughts and day with new things, thoughts and experiences that are positive you crowd out the ability to focus on the negative. Recall what happens if someone says don’t press the red button? That’s all you can think about…pressing the red button!
So what if I’m hungry for 3 days…It’s actually good for me and can help me reset my metabolism. I can use this as a step to getting closer to my goal of losing 15 pounds. I will take doable chunks at a time and have gratitude for each step along the way.
Not a personal training client onsite at Energy Fitness, 552 South Main, Memphis, TN 38103 and live in the area? Give us a call at 901-466-6242 or Click here for a FREE Consult (value $87)
Interested in our Massage or Body Wraps? Click here.
Don’t live nearby or travel a lot? Check out our customized online training ($40-$80) here: Online Customized Training